Sunday, August 10, 2008

I'm here!

I have arrived safely in Uganda! It is now my third full day and I am busy trying to take as much in as I possibly can. Internet access is somewhat limited (and always a test of patience), but hopefully once I start classes that will change.

Sorry to anyone who checked the blog earlier only to find no posts - I've had an interesting time trying to get the email out to everyone and get a post updated. Hopefully things will smooth out as I continue my time over here.

I will give a very brief update of the past few days (I only have a few minutes right now) and then add more later:

Friday, August 8:
Arrived in Entebbe after two 8 hour flights (Detroit to Amsterdam & Amsterdam to Entebbe). Found all of my luggage and got through customs without a hitch - I win that round, Africa. I better not brag just yet, since I'll have to do that a few more times before the 10 months is over.
I'm currently traveling with the Iowa State delegation - Rich Bundy, the Sukup family, and the Kolschowskys - who are here to observe how that ISU Sustainable Rural Livelihoods program has come along in the last year. It's very nice to have traveling partners - especially when they've been to Africa numerous times before.
Got into Kampala from Entebbe after about an hour drive. The road wasn't too bad - apparently it had been improved this last year when the CHOGM conference was held here (can't remember what it stands for right now). Caught my first glimpse of Ugandan living conditions: about on par with what I had been told to expect. Dropped the ISU delegation off at their hotel in Kampala and I went on to Dorothy Masinde's house where I will be staying for the time being. Dorothy is a Kenyan woman who was hired by ISU to coordinate it's work with the NGO VEDCO and is amazing. She has already adopted me as her newest child :)
When we got to her house, I picked her mind about a few important things (doctor, malaria, cell phone, money exchange, etc.) and then she helped me set up my mosquito net and I crawled into bed for my first night in Uganda (will post a picture later). Not as tired as I thought I would be, but definitely ready for sleeping in a bed rather than a airplane seat with a recline angle of <10ยบ.

Saturday, August 9
Jet lag hasn't been too bad. Woke up for about an hour at 5:00 am, then fell back asleep until 7:30ish. That's been the story every morning since. Started the day by going to Garden City - the main shopping mall (picture a 1980's American mall). Exchanged money and bought a better map of Kampala (which doesn't really make that much sense since no one knows the names of roads anyway). Wandered around the mall and got my cell phone (will post the number later). Came back to the hotel with the ISU delegation and spent the afternoon there before we all went to Khana Khazana - a fantastic Indian restaurant. Back to Dorothy's & my mosquito net for bed.

Sunday, August 10
Went with Rich & the Sukups for my first African church experience. It was nothing like I expected. Instead of being 3+ hours and lots of upbeat music, it was 45 minutes long and split between Latin & Lugandan. Also had to sit outside since the inside was packed. Interesting experience, to say the least. The afternoon was spent visiting the tombs of the Bugandan kings (one of Uganda's 56 native tribes) and then we met up with some Makerere University students and went to a dance/dinner performance called Ndere. Lasted 4 hours (yes, I did nod off for a bit), but was awesome overall.

Alright - we're off to the Mburu nature reserve for a couple days of staying in a "luxury tent resort." Not exactly sure what that is, but have heard that lions might be involved in some way.

Will post more in a few days when we're back.

Cheers!
Chris

6 comments:

Marc Mores said...

Chris -

Enjoy Africa brother! I spent 5 weeks in New Zealand as part of a Rotary group study exchange, but that doesn't come close to comparing what is in store for you. I look forward to your future postings.

Yours in the Bond,

Marc

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start, Chris. My son David, who is 18 and an incoming ISU freshman, was in Uganda for most of the summer. He was working with the Ugandan Women's Concerns Ministry near Mbale. David just came back a few days before you left. He had a great experience -- it's his third summer to go over there -- but he lost 20 pounds and is sleeping day for night.He learned some Lugandan and some Lugisu while he was there. No pix because his camera got stolen from his backpack in Kampala on the way home. I look forward to reading your blogs. Don't forget to take your malaria medicine!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great posts! I can't wait to hear more about your journey over the next year. By the way, we just got back from Spring Lake yesterday and I wish we'd had mosquito netting too!

I'm so very proud of you, Chris! Take care, Michelle

mark.tekippe said...

first comment! looks like you are getting to see a lot in only your first few days! if you're looking for the 4+ hour service with lots of music and purely lugandan let me know...i have the perfect candidate...but wait until the weather gets nice and toasty first ;) glad things are going well.

Unknown said...

Dealio! Glad you made it safe! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures and p.s. I expect you to come back with braids like Elly did, so get that hair growin'!

jaybird said...

Chris,

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures across the globe!

- Jay