Thursday, November 13, 2008

Staying busy...

I realized that I have hinted at what is keeping me busy over here, but have never actually written about how I have been spending the majority of my time. Here is a summary of my projects/activities now that I’ve gotten into something of a routine:

Classes: I am currently taking six classes, all associated with some aspect of renewable energy: (1) Other Forms of Renewable Energy, (2) Entrepreneurship Development, (3) Project Management, (4) Energy Policy & Planning, (5) Optimizing Energy Systems, and (6) Solar Energy. Although the lectures have continued to be intermittent (overall, I would guess that professors have showed up for about 60% of the scheduled lectures), the 14 of us in the program have been busy over the last few weeks with several projects, papers, and tests. The lectures themselves have been fairly pointless, usually being directly from PowerPoint slides or out of a book, but the overall program has required a lot of self-taught learning. And the nice thing is that all of the topics are right up my alley, so I find all of this material to be interesting. It took awhile, but I finally feel like a student again!


Research: After consulting with a few advisers at Iowa State, I have narrowed down my topic for thesis research to biochar. Without going into a lot of technical jargon and putting everyone to sleep, biochar is the byproduct from extreme heating of biomass (through gasification, pyrolysis, or charcoal production). It has been shown to be a very effective soil amendment for increasing soil fertility and crop production. It also has the ability to capture carbon and store it for hundreds to thousands of years, making it a “carbon-negative” technology and potential source for climate change mitigation efforts. I’m specifically looking at the biochar produced from gasification of biomass crops from the humid tropics. In a nutshell, it’s a cool way to combine my interests in engineering and agriculture. I am still in the process of finishing my thesis proposal (something that has taken much longer than expected), but should hopefully be able to start with experiments in the next month or so.


Teaching: For the past 6 weeks, I have been volunteering as a secondary school teacher at a local school. I have been teaching chemistry and math to A-Level students (upper high school level), and have been loving it! I had a little drama when I originally tried to find a school where I could volunteer (have been meaning to write an entry about it but that’s never happened – long story short: a school founder tried to use me, the token white guy, primarily as a recruitment tool for more fee-paying students…add to that the fact that the school was over an hour away from Makerere and I decided that option would not be in my best interests). After some help from a contact at Makerere, I found the school where I have spent the last 6 weeks. It is located near a slum area of Kampala and is designed to give access to kids who normally wouldn’t be able to go to A-Level school. The students are starting their exams next week, so I gave my last lesson yesterday. They then have their long break until the end of January (their academic year matches up with the calendar year). Sadly, I might not be able to come back and teach next semester since I’ll be juggling two loads of classes and research. We shall see….


“Consulting”: I have helped out with a couple rural energy programs. I wrote about one of them awhile ago – using sunflower seed oil to power a generator that will supply energy for an off-grid trading center. The other was a jatropha project in a district just north of Kampala (I think I might have mentioned that one also). They have been very interesting projects, but both of them have basically ground to a halt due to organizational issues within the implementation groups. Frustrating…


Coordinating Pen Pals: Tracy came up with the idea to have her students pair up with students here in Uganda and do a pen pals exchange. I’ve been helping to get the logistics figured out with the Ugandan school, and the first set of letters should be arriving any day now from the U.S.! Tracy and her students are also gathering school supplies to send over to the school here in Uganda (it’s a rural school where the students literally have nothing more than a pen and paper). Plans are in the works to try to add a more sizeable fundraising project, but I need to see how things play out with some background research first…

Language Lessons: I have been taking lessons in Luganda (the main tribal language spoken in Kampala and surrounding areas) since early September. I am part of a group of 8 students – 7 girls from Norway and myself – that meets for 4-6 hours each week. The class has been very interesting since it incorporates many cultural aspects. Unfortunately, I haven’t put in the study time outside of class that I should have. I can converse in basic Luganda…but only if I have my class notes right in front of me!


Church: I found a church within walking distance of my home where I have been going almost every week. It’s part of the Church of Uganda (Anglican) and has a “traditional” style of worship service, but traditional is definitely a relative term. The services here are still much livelier than the different “contemporary” services I’ve been to in Iowa. I was actually singing in the choir for awhile but had to cut that out when classes picked up. Strangely, none of the other choir members seemed too heartbroken when I stopped coming to practices!


Travels: Whenever it works out with my schedule, I am trying to get out of Kampala and see the region. The travels have been great – it’s nice to get away from the chaos that is Kampala every once in awhile! My recent trip to Rwanda was the most unorganized things I have been involved with – but the country was still amazing! Eventually I will get a post written about it… Besides Rwanda, I have spent time in Kenya, Kamuli District, Entebbe, Kabale (far western Uganda), along with a few other day trips. Tomorrow I leave for a weekend in the Ssese Islands, the chain of 81 islands in Lake Victoria. I’m going with a Rotary group and will be helping to pour cement for a local school located on the islands. We’ll also be checking out a recently installed “bio-latrine” that uses the human waste produced by the school to produce energy for cooking and lighting. The Ssese Islands are supposed to be gorgeous, so it should be quite the weekend!


Friends/“Family”: I’ve met some awesome people over here through classes, volunteering, random connections, and sheer chance. I will usually spend a night or two each week out in Kampala with friends trying a new restaurant or sharing our weekly adventures. Beyond that, I see my “host family” most days, although it’s usually pretty short since I get home late from school and am out the door early in the morning.


Anyway, that’s the cliff notes version of my life over here. Add to that the “fun” challenges that pop up with daily life (i.e. my hard drive crashing earlier this week), and it keeps me pretty busy. I’m trying to fit as much in as I can since I’m already done with three of the nine months that I’ll be in the country!

Cheers!
Chris

P.S. Without sticking my foot too far in my mouth, I want to clarify my last post a bit. As I read over the post, I realized that it came off with an obvious bias, which I did not mean to do. I am actually very moderate when it comes to politics, and I definitely want to avoid the potentially polarizing effect that political discourse can have – especially in this blog. The political atmosphere is naturally much different here in Eastern Africa than in the Midwest, which was reflected in my writing. So, that being said, yes, I am excited for the future, but I – like many of you – have my reservations also. The message I meant to convey was one of optimism, believing that we will need a positive approach to solve the issues we are currently facing, but knowing that we need to employ relative caution as we move forward with some of the changes that will inevitably come.



Pic: Football (soccer) match of Uganda vs. Benin (Uganda won 3-1)


Pic: Admiring the western Ugandan landscape


Pic: Lake Bunyonyi = gorgeous


3 comments:

Erich J. Knight said...

The Rest of the Biochar Story:

Charles Mann ("1491")in the Sept. National Geographic has a wonderful soils article which places Terra Preta / Biochar soils center stage.
I think Biochar has climbed the pinnacle, the Combined English and other language circulation of NGM is nearly nine million monthly with more than fifty million readers monthly!
We need to encourage more coverage now, to ride Mann's coattails to public critical mass.

Please put this (soil) bug in your colleague's ears. These issues need to gain traction among all the various disciplines who have an iron in this fire.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/09/soil/mann-text

I love the "MEGO" factor theme Mann built the story around. Lord... how I KNOW that reaction.

I like his characterization concerning the pot shards found in Terra Preta soils;

so filled with pottery - "It was as if the river's first inhabitants had
thrown a huge, rowdy frat party, smashing every plate in sight, then
buried the evidence."

A couple of researchers I was not aware of were quoted, and I'll be sending them posts about our Biochar group: (this forum has several subscribers from Ghana & Kenya, and many NGO groups) http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/b...guid=122501696

and data base;
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=node



I also have been trying to convince Michael Pollan ( NYT Food Columnist, Author ) to do a follow up story, with pleading emails to him


Since the NGM cover reads "WHERE FOOD BEGINS" , I thought this would be right down his alley and focus more attention on Mann's work.

I've admiried his ability since "Botany of Desire" to over come the "MEGO" factor (My Eyes Glaze Over) and make food & agriculture into page turners.

It's what Mann hasn't covered that I thought should interest any writer as a follow up article.

The Biochar provisions by Sen.Ken Salazar in the 07 farm bill,

Dr, James Hansen's Global warming solutions paper and letter to the G-8 conference last month, and coming article in Science,
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0804/0804.1126.pdf

The many new university programs & field studies, in temperate soils

Glomalin's role in soil tilth & Terra Preta,

The International Biochar Initiative Conference Sept 8 in New Castle;
http://www.biochar-international.org/ibi2008conference/aboutibi2008conference.html


Given the current "Crisis" atmosphere concerning energy, soil sustainability, food vs. Biofuels, and Climate Change what other subject addresses them all?

Biochar, the modern version of an ancient Amazonian agricultural practice called Terra Preta (black earth), is gaining widespread credibility as a way to address world hunger, climate change, rural poverty, deforestation, and energy shortages… SIMULTANEOUSLY!

This technology represents the most comprehensive, low cost, and productive approach to long term stewardship and sustainability.
Terra Preta Soils a process for Carbon Negative Bio fuels, massive Carbon sequestration,10X Lower Methane & N2O soil emissions, and 3X Fertility Too. Every 1 ton of Biomass yields 1/3 ton Charcoal for soil Sequestration.


Carbon to the Soil, the only ubiquitous and economic place to put it.

Erich
540 289 9750

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris ~
Benz always said you were the least photogenic person she'd ever met but the longer you're gone, the more photogenic you've become . . . or maybe we just miss you.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!